The Essex Association is implementing two new policies to increase financial and administrative controls, improve efficiencies and meet Charity Commission requirements. Both polices come into effect on 1 January 2012. The policies detail the procedures for claiming expenses and petty cash and include a template expense claim form in Excel which should be completed in all cases.
The two policies are:
As a charity the Essex Association of Change Ringers should set out and regularly review its financial policy and procedures to ensure that:
- All financial resources are used in the furtherance of the Charity’s aims and objectives
- All expenditure is properly authorised and monitored
- The Charity complies with all relevant legislation
- The Charity complies with best practice and follows guidance issued by the Charity Commission
- The Charity protects itself from financial loss arising from maladministration or fraud
- The Charity is able to respond to adverse and unforeseen circumstances
- The Trustees take decisions on the basis of complete and accurate information
The petty cash policy (PDF, 160kB) follows best practice. Its purpose is to ensure that all trustees and volunteers are aware of when and how petty cash can be used in the activities of the organisation and full compliance is adhered. The purpose of the policy is to present the Associations strategy for the effective management of the petty cash and aims to ensure all trustees and volunteers are fully informed of the guidelines as to how petty cash should be administered.
The policies formalise the procedures which have largely been in place for a number of years.
A spreadsheet version of the expenses claim form is here (Excel spreadsheet, 32kB).